Sunday, December 3, 2006

To the Motherland


Well I'm sitting here in my deliciously comfortable bed, enjoying my last few moments at home as I prepare for and experience that I can never fully prepare for. I'm taking Mefloquin for Malaria and some of the side effects are insomnia and anxiety, which have panged me this whole week. Fear of change and the unknown. But last night the incredible peace of Jesus, which surpasses all understanding, swept away my fear and left me with excitement and eagerness for the emotional, physical, and spiritual journey that I am embarking on tomorrow.

I'm thrilled to see my Ethiopian friends again and dance and play with the resilient orphans. I'm most excited to be surrounded by the courageous African soul and learn from the culture. I was thinking about what goals I have for the journey, but I don't like to make specific goals because they can so easily become expectations. I want to enter the experience open for come what may.

But I certainly hope. I hope I learn to truly give and receive love, I hope to grow mindful of the culture: both its joys and pains. I hope to sing. I hope to dance. I hope to play. I hope to be pressed and stretched. I hope to shout to the north and the south of the wondrous love of Jesus. I hope to more fully understand my purpose.


2 comments:

ZacO said...

Hey Ashley. I hope everything is going well and you had safe flight. Good luck with everyting!

Unknown said...

Hope that you are able to post again soon. Everyone is asking about you and wants to hear about your experience. We all enjoy learning how God is working through His servants in this tumultuous period of history. With you in spirit and prayer compelled by my love for you--Mom