Thursday, January 11, 2007

Salamna from Ethiopa


Salamna! (Hello in Amaharic, lit. meaning...Peace)

Well we are on dial-up over here so this blog thing isn't exactly
working so I'll have to send group emails, terribly sorry. I just sent
this to my whole address book so if you don't want these emails just
let me know, i promise i won't be offended.

Well my goodness, where to start.

When we stepped off the plane in Addis Ababa, Kali said, "Smell the
air because we won't remember it in a few days." Well I don't notice
the smell of cow patties and incense anymore, but its a good thing
because it signifies that Ethiopia is our home again. The friendships
are natural, the food sits well (for the most part), the laughter is
overflowing, the amaharic is coming along as our english diminishes
exponentially.... finally we are at home again.

Our days are filled with new experiences from riding on the large taxi
bus with a max capacity of about 40, but always at least 100 riders,
to visiting new orphanages and playing their games. But I enjoy the
familiarity of this place more: our friendships with Mesfin, Alex,
Sammie, and Ladet, our favorite injera (traditional Ethiopian food)
resturant, the 4 machiatos a day, and the little girl Salam at the
Mother Teresea orphanage.

Everday I have to give my expectations and idealism to the Lord
because in this place expectations destroy the beauty of the
spontaniety and what the Lord wants to show us. Nevertheless to have a
dream is of the utmost importance, as our Ethiopian friends have shown
us that to dream is to dream of eternal joy.

Ethiopians live in the day. Each day is all they have and could truly
be their last as many live on the edge between life and afterlife.
This is why they give, they give all that they have, and put their
whole hearts into each day. I believe because of this gift, each day
their hearts grow incredibly strong and the Lord fills them up each
day with joy and trust because he likes how much they give with their
hearts...

The largest heart I've ever seen is Alex's mother's heart. When she
was 16 her now husband, kidnapped and raped her, and forced her to be
his wife. She bore him 5 children. All the time he was going around
sleeping with many other women. Not only did she stay with him, she
took in his other children, 17 total, and raised them. She treats and
loves them as her own. Alex's dad passed away 2 years ago from
HIV/AIDS and now his mother has contracted it because he slept around.
Yet she gives all she has to these kids. She truly has a heart of
gold.



The more time I spend in Ethiopia the more accustomed I grow to the
feces on the street or the rabid dogs barking at all hours of the
night, but the integrity and the faith of the people continues to
amaze me. When I hear of their struggle I can't even begin to imagine
what it must be like, but it truly does cause me to look at my life
and revolutionize everything I think is important.

________________________________________________________________

December 12, 2006

Today was our first day working at the Sidestkilo Mother Teresea
orphanage for disabled, special needs children.

We got there at 10:30 and immediately I was bombarded by 7 children
all trying to hole my hand or asking me to pick them up. Then their
excitement turned into rage as there was not enough of me to go
around, so then I had to shift my focus from loving them to stopping
the boy with downs from biting the mentally handicapped girl.

Many of the orphans I've met in Ethiopia have dirty clothes, but as to
be expected. however these children cannot take care of themselves in
the least.

I'm ashamed of my next thoughts...

No only were they covered in dirty and old ratty clothese but tthey
reeked of urine and terrible breath. They have food crusted all over
their faces and snot and saliva pouring from their nostrils and mouth.
And all they wanted me to do is to hold them, but I couldnt help but
smell the urine and fell the saliva dripping down my leg. I searched
deep into my heart and had the hardest time to find the strength and
compassion to just hold them. And as if my sense couldn't sense
anything worse it was meal time.

The sisters brought out a huge pot of injera mixed with maize. They
then poured in wated and mushed it all together so that it literally
looked like dog food that had been vomitted. The sisters then
proceeded to strap these children to their charis and tie their hands
together as we filled their mouths with this foul smelling food, while
half of it trickled down their face and the other half ended up on my
face from their spit.

Needless to say, I didn't know whether to cry or vomit.

Thank goodness we didn't have injera for lunch, but went to a
pizzeria. I was hashing through my thoughts and feelings I was trying
to figure out a way I wouldn't have to go back. But after a 2 hour
lunch breaks and 2 machiatos I was beginning to feel some strength and
we headed back.

One of the girls had been crying all morning and finally after playing
ball and duck duck goose she was smiling, laughing and claping and I
was filled with such joy. To give these children an ounce of love
after being totally shunned from society, and to see them smile is the
greatest joy and fullfillment I've ever experienced. But it wasn't my
love. It was jesus' love. I had to pray for God to let me see past the
snot and just hug the little boy as his urine ran down my leg. But
with God's eyes i have to tell you, I've NEVER seen more BEAUTIFUL
children. Their smiles radiate with love. I couldnt stop dreaming
about them last night and wait to get back to the orphanage today.

I didn't have the love within me, but God loved them through Kali and
me and that was the most blessed I've ever been in my whole life.

God continues to help us see with our hearts. And to see with his eyes
which is so different from my view. But there is still pain and
hunger. so pray for our friends that they will continue to hope and
press on, pray for the special children who need to feel Jesus wrap
his arms around him. Pray that Kali and I continue to let go and let
God.

I love you all and miss you!

Ciao-

Ashley
Brahan (my ethiopian name)


--
Ashley S. Zeiger

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ashley, Bama, Brahan:
Life is FUN. . . being all that you can be, in the place He deposits you. We are thrilled that you are enjoying the abundant life already. (John 10:10)
Love,
Mom & Dad